a warm, delicate beef roast deep in its savory juices,
surrounded by tender root vegetables. A good ol’ fashioned, fork-tender-melt-in-your-mouth beef roast like
‘grandma used to make it’ isn’t as daunting as it may seem. It all starts with a good sear. Searing the meat on all
sides is the most important step that you don’t want to skip. Allowing the beef to get a deep dark color on all
sides enhances and concentrates the flavor and seals in all of the juices for a delicious and tender finished
product. With a quick preparation, set-it-and-forget-it, flavor packed and fulfilling dish this will be a recipe that
you’re sure to hang onto and share with many generations to come.
Share and Enjoy
By October 23, 2012Published:
- Yield: feeds family of 6
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 3 hrs 0 min
- Ready In: 3 hrs 20 mins
a warm, delicate beef roast deep in its savory juices, surrounded by tender root vegetables. A good ol' fashioned, …
- 1/2 pound Beef roast
- 1 TSP salt
- 1/2 TSP pepper
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 32 ounce beef broth
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 2 cups carrots chopped-bite size pieces
- 4 cups potatoes chopped-bite size pieces
- 2 bay leaves dried
- Add 1 TBSP olive oil to a large skillet. Allow to preheat to a medium-high heat.
- Begin to prepare your beef roast by liberally rubbing the entire roast with salt and pepper. Allow to rest.
- Set your 6 quart crock pot to medium-low heat.
- When skillet has reached its high temperature add the prepared beef roast to start searing, being careful not to move the meat once it has been placed in the skillet.
*To achieve the perfect sear you should hear sizzling when adding the meat. If you don't hear a sizzle your pan isn't hot enough. Remove meat, allow pan to reach its high temperature, and try again.
Allow beef to sear on each side (approx. 4-5 minutes on each side.)
Once meat has been seared on all sides, remove from skillet and transfer over to your preheated crock pot, leaving your skillet on the heat.
- Quickly return to your heated skillet and add a 32 oz. container of beef broth while scraping off all the remaining browned bits off the bottom of your pan.
Immediately dissolve 1 packet of onion soup mix into liquid. Allow the liquid to simmer down for 5 minutes.
Pour mixture over the resting beef roast in the crock pot.
- Roughly chop your carrots and potatoes. Add to the crock pot along with 2 dried bay leafs and cover.
- Allow to cook for 8 hours .
Oven variation: Bake in oven on 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours, covered. Uncover then continue baking for 30 minutes.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress