Drywall was our number one project for this past weekend in the nursery. Not much excitement there, but it has to be done. I did however, sneak in two projects.
I took an old coffee table that I purchased at Goodwill ,years ago, for $10 . There was a glass top that seemed to me to be dangerous. So, I removed it and was never quite sure where to go from there. Until now! I had hubby cut a piece of wood to the size of the recessed section of the coffee table. It was an old , weather, dingy piece of particle board, but that’s okay. No one will see it . I doubled up some batting, laid it out on the floor, laid the cut play wood on top, trimmed the batting about leaving about an inch past the particle board , Then stapled into place .
My little man tested it out and said it was quite comfy already. However, for a bench I wanted it to be much softer. I took an entire bag of batting that someone gave me for free, so I didn’t feel so bad about using the entire bag. I folded it all into a rectangle slightly smaller than piece of wood and stapled into place. I was careful not to go all the way to the edge so that it would still fit into the recessed part of the coffee table.
Along with the curtains that I purchased from Ebay , I also purchased the matching quilt. When It arrived in the mail I wasn’t as thrilled with it as I was in the pictures online. It didn’t hurt my feelings to cut it up for this project. Plus, it added an extra quilted touch to this bench. I cut it down to size , folded the edge over, then stapled into place.
I didn’t secure it to the coffee table just yet. I would like to find some sparkly buttons and do some tufting and also some paint treatments to the coffee table to make it coordinate with the built in hutch we are working on. I’ll show you the end results later, but it’s looking cute so far. Don’t you think?
So, now onto the biggest project of the room. I have this little ol’ dresser. It’s funny because I actually told the original owner of this dresser that I didn’t want it. The top was damaged and it is really too small to fit much into. Boy am I glad I took it now!
We started by removing the top
Then replaced it with a piece of plywood. See the little space to the left? That was intentional . I’ll share more later.
We then assembled a “hutch top” on the floor . My little man was a big helper that day!
With around $50 in materials we assembled this arrangement of shelves for storage and to be used as a changing table. Later , we can go in and add a shelf or two to make this piece grow with our little girl.
From itty bitty dresser to a custom “built in ” hutch. This is in the very beginning stage. We are adding decorative trim to make it look like one cohesive piece, and will be doing some painting too (of course!)
I’ve spent the last days (very slowly- I am 6 1/2 months pregnant remember) painting the hutch, walls, trim, and some fun decorative pieces too.
I better get back to work!Pin It
Share and Enjoy